I’m really not sure if I agree with Pancake Tuesday. I mean, okay…I understand completely why one would feel the need to celebrate these guys for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but why only for one day of the year? Look what the tradition has done: made the majority of us feel as though its only appropriate to leave them for then. C’mon!
As an extremely versatile – delicious savoury or sweet – meal, pancakes should be taken for granted a lot more. Brilliant for bumping up your protein intake with some crushed nuts in the mix, and for enhancing your morning, topped with yogurt and fresh berries, I fail to see why they’re not more popular.
One thing that may hold somebody back is coming up with the right batter consistency and the effort involved in making them, but see this as issue one of a huge volume of mine tackling those excuses! 😉
- Free range (if possible) eggs x2
- 2 tbl spoons flaxseeds blended with 3 tbl spoons water
- Wholemeal flour 1 cup (Tesco brand)
- 2 tbl spoons cocoa powder (I used Bournville hot chocolate powder, available from Tesco)
- Baking powder 1 tbl spoon
- 1.5 tea spoons of vanilla essence
- Pinch of salt
- Coconut milk approx. 1 cup (Add slowly to the mixture and make sure it doesn’t become watery)
- Coconut oil
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a mixing bowl or electric mixer (including the cocoa powder).
- Mix the eggs, vanilla essence and coconut milk, then pour the mixture slowly into the mixing bowl, followed by the blended flaxseed mixture and whisk slowly and continuously.
- When you form a thickish mixture, heat a frying pan at high heat with coconut oil. add a small amount of pancake mixture and gently push down batter with the back of a tablespoon.
- Heat both sides of pancake for 2 mins on a low heat.
- Garnish with some chopped banana, almond butter, natural yogurt and maybe some fresh Tesco berries. I used Glenisk yogurt which was gorgeous.
- I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
I hope you like what you’ve seen today! If you’re interested, you might head over to my Facebook and Instagram pages to keep up with everything or drop your email into the subs box below to keep up to date with everything! 🙂
happy healthy eating,